Sylvia's Adventures

I mixed bag of thoughts from a mixed bag.

Friday, October 09, 2009


Adventures in Google,
While working during the day my mind tends to wonder and rests on strange things. It might have something to do with my random play lists. Certain songs will bring back old memories or perhaps I’m just getting sentimental this time of year. Somehow in links and searches an old picture came up of very fun looking store in Logan Utah. It’s funny, I’ll Google stuff and it’s sad how little exists out online about old home memories. I mostly check on it to crosscheck facts and if it really happened or if it was just a vivid dream of how I wanted it to be. Logan was such a weird and difficult time in my life.

Some very cool things I remember about the old downtown was how glamorous some of the stores tried to be. Somehow this picture came up of Low Cost Drug. One of my favorite looking stores in the old hometown downtown memories. Huge script font and it even had a very 50’s modern rotating ball of a sign on the corner of the building. I can remember going in and it being packed full of stuff for sale like every good drug store was. I seem to remember it even having a little lunch counter. I would look at the records, sundries and appliances. I bought one of my first transistor radios there. The start of one of my many collections. I’ve lost it since but keep looking for it on Ebay and antique stores. A white Zenith with a big silver grill. I have found the Stars and Strips one I had in Chicago and one of the Panapet radios that were so totally cool growing up.

I’ve always loved radios. One of my favorite things to do light at night was to see how far I could get in radio surfing. I always felt so trapped growing up in a small town and on clear nights I would be able to get LA stations sometimes. Mostly they just played our strange local stations. Most of them were a weird mix of uncool oldies and strange mainstream, several country options, the university station for NPR and late night Jazz sometimes but still pretty limited in music. Not much for options. I guess Google does the same thing for me now. I get a memory and just search out what I can find. Go traveling via Google to far away places. Sometimes things like this come up. Then I’m back to work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home