
Happy Pride month!
So I was doing my daily Blog reading the other day and saw this on Shorpys.com. I love this story! What an adventure and even a happy ending!
Our mystery men are newspaper columnists Robert Kintner (standing) and Joseph Alsop, whose jointly written "Capital Parade" appeared in the Washington Post. In the 1950s and '60s, Kintner was president of the ABC and NBC television networks.
Joe, though married, was gay. One time on a trip to Russia he got entrapped. The Russkies tried to leverage his flagrante delicti with a handsome Russky operative. Essentially, Siberia or work for us when you get home. Joe, who knew everybody and everything in Washington and could have been quite useful to the Russians, put country first. He called their bluff and said go ahead and prosecute me. They didn't and when they released him Joe promptly told all to the American Embassy. Affected his career and contacts here not at all.
[You're half right. That's Joe at the typewriter. - Dave]
I love that Joe never backed down, even in the face of everything! Especially back then.
I wonder how he got out of it?
Happy Pride everyone! Stay true to yourself!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home