
“Hi there! Hey I just wanted to let you know, I didn't mean to be remiss in telling you that Lani and I put Re-bar on the market...”
“Nothing at all is happening as far as offers. We haven't gotten one, but our broker has had some people "interested"- but they haven't even toured the bar.” …” I do not want Re-bar to change! I am doing whatever I can to keep it Re-bar- all gritty and fun and funky and different and unique.”
So last week I was hit two times with some big changes. Thumpers final death announcement and then the Slog posting that Rebar is up for sale. Two of my venues that I have been a part of for my shows are closing. Well ick.
Rebar hit me a little harder than Thumpers. Thumpers I have had some amazing experiences in and it definitely gave me the opportunity to break out and do my cabarets but it felt a little too easy. Rebar’s show was a bit more of a challenge. I’m just so glad I was able to do one before it closed.
When I moved here in 1997 the first show I saw in Seattle was dirty little show tunes at the Rebar and then Dina Martina’s Christmas show. I was dating my first husband at the time and the new city seemed unlimited in it’s opportunities. I remember saying to myself when I entered the bar that wow this could really be a place I would feel comfortable in. I loved the funky retro style and the great edgy shows that were being put on there. Since 19997 I’ve had the amazing privilege of doing so many shows, fundraisers, guest spots and sittings at the Rebar and every time I was in there it felt like a very cool and hip home.
So what if?
My dream? If I had all the money in the world? I’d take it over and quit my regular 9-5 job and run the place. I ‘d keep all the employee there and give them all raises. Because I love them all. I’d give it a little face lift. Re upholsters all the banquettes and booths. Perhaps start up a lunch counter for the area office buildings with a happy hour special for all of the buildings. I work in one of the buildings and the tenants are always looking for lunch options. And there are no other bars to offer happy hour prices around those office buildings. I would get my designer architect friends to come in the make the bar/theater a true duel purpose space with retractable seating and movable stage and sound areas. The Café would be open late 3:00am on weekends and it would feature food from the Dina Martina shows and lots of Bacon dishes. We would specialize in edgy shows and the theater would run on it’s own with memberships and season passes.
We would go up a floor and add balcony seating and second floor lounge- office- sky porch. Hell, I’m dreaming aren’t I? Maybe even build a caretaker’s apartment upstairs. Then convert the back office into dressing rooms and the back pool table area in to a true back stage. and Prop shop. Oh and since it was my money and it was now my space I’d do a little painting update. Oh if I had all the money in the world…


1 Comments:
Darling, if I had all the money in the world I'd do the same thing. The only thing I would ask is an annual performance of "Return to the Garden of Allah" (or whatever that was called). Even if we were all in wheelchairs ;-)
Post a Comment
<< Home