
So last night, while I was out at the VCOS meeting the lights went out.
I came home to the boathouse after the meeting to a bunch of cop cars directing traffic on 12th and John. While just a couple blocks further the lights where on and bright.
I know Katrina, all the other natural disasters happening around us. Famine, locusts, Flooding, earthquakes, tidal waves, and volcanoes. It is the end of the world after all. But that was all away from Capitol Hill Seattle. It was interesting to see how dark it can get around the hill with out the lights. Not too dark but lots of dark shadows. We had somehow avoided loosing lights during the great Hanukkah storm of 06 but last night we were hit. The Boat House was dark of course, but I have lots of tea lights. Thought I would get on the computer and do some work because it has batteries, but of course the internet was down. Sooooo, all the other wireless internet was down around me. I guess I could watch a DVD or read a book. The tea-lights were not that bright, so I decided it would probably be best to just go to bed. While I was in bed I could hear lots of people talking and walking around outside. It’s kind of unnerving hearing that entire thing outside. I can only imagine what it would be like when something big happens. Very strange I’m sure. I guess it’s time to start thinking about what I would do in that case. How many of you are ready?
I came home to the boathouse after the meeting to a bunch of cop cars directing traffic on 12th and John. While just a couple blocks further the lights where on and bright.
I know Katrina, all the other natural disasters happening around us. Famine, locusts, Flooding, earthquakes, tidal waves, and volcanoes. It is the end of the world after all. But that was all away from Capitol Hill Seattle. It was interesting to see how dark it can get around the hill with out the lights. Not too dark but lots of dark shadows. We had somehow avoided loosing lights during the great Hanukkah storm of 06 but last night we were hit. The Boat House was dark of course, but I have lots of tea lights. Thought I would get on the computer and do some work because it has batteries, but of course the internet was down. Sooooo, all the other wireless internet was down around me. I guess I could watch a DVD or read a book. The tea-lights were not that bright, so I decided it would probably be best to just go to bed. While I was in bed I could hear lots of people talking and walking around outside. It’s kind of unnerving hearing that entire thing outside. I can only imagine what it would be like when something big happens. Very strange I’m sure. I guess it’s time to start thinking about what I would do in that case. How many of you are ready?


2 Comments:
Darling, it was a POWER OUTAGE. How did you get to the Armegedon from there?
While there are those in power who like us to be afraid (it helps sell alarm systems and dubious political agendas) I just don't let them get to me. As Edina Monsoon said "You know it may not be all great and good but it ain't that bad! Y'know, so come on, world, cheer up, it may never bloody happen!"1
When we had the huge power outage in December, the Hub and I didn't lose power in Ballard, but my mother in Renton did. I drove to get her and bring her to our home on a Friday at 8pm. It was off-and-on pitch black from Georgetown to Renton and it was really scary. I have never seen it so black outside! I sympathize with your eerie feelings during the Capitol Hill black out.
As for your question: am I prepared for disaster? Probably not. Thank god for my Hummer, four shot guns and three AK-47s I've collected over the years.
Post a Comment
<< Home